I have automated SQL Server 2005 reports that are being emailed on a regular basis. They stopped working after purchasing and using the McAfee service. No bounce back message, just customer's complaining that they were no longer receiving their reports.
The report server is not giving any errors. They are being marked as successful. However my server logs are giving me the following error for every email I try to send through reporting services:
vent Type: Warning
Event Source: smtpsvc
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4007
Time: 7:31:04 PM
Message delivery to the host '184.108.40.206' failed while delivering to the remote domain 'mydomain.com' for the following reason: The remote SMTP service rejected AUTH negotiation.
The SMTP verb which caused the error is 'AUTH'. The response from the remote server is '250-p02c11m002.mxlogic.net
The McAfee control panel is hosted on the mxlogic.net server. So that is why I am assuming it is an issue with the McAfee service.
I turned off the McAfee service this yesterday. That did not seem to help. Then I restarted my servers this morning and that helped. I was able to send the reports. However, I realize that the issue could still be McAfee because it could just be a timing issue in how McAfee proliferates. I've since turned the McAfee service back on and sent more reports successfully. No SMTP errors in the event log yet. But again it could be a timing issue. Or perhaps I just needed a server restart.
Anyone else encounter a similar issue with the McAfee service? If so, how did you resolve it?
Thank you for your question today. I am not certain what the issue would be. The McAfee services that run on our servers only work for inbound emails, not outbound. As we do not have support for SQL Server, nor do our customers have the ability to restart servers on our side, I am not sure where our servers would come into play. There is no identifying information in the question that would allow me to take a look at your account on our servers.
Since you have had no issues since the restart, that would likely be the fix, however if you do have an account with us that is involved and it does return, please respond with your domain name. You can send it to firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not wish to publish it here, but please reply here to let us know you have sent it as we do not monitor that email address for incoming emails.
Thanks for the quick response. I am hoping the restart is what did it. It is just odd that it occurred right after I enabled the service, plus the event log error with mxlogic.net in it. Our domain is protekdevices.com
I have reports set to run automatically tonight and Friday. So we will just have to wait and see.
More information. I tried sending reports again now that the service has been enabled since 6:30am. They are not going through and I'm getting the same SMTP errors in my server logs. So the server restart was just a coincidence. The McAfee service is what is causing the issue.