What lockdown are you referring to? I do see that you were sent an email regarding your account's resource usage, but it doesn't look like a suspension was ever issued at least from your account notes.
Sometimes log processing can lag behind a few days as they have a lower priority than the running live services on the server. If it seems like they've gone a week or more without updating for specific sites you might want to submit a ticket so that our system administration team can take a closer look for you.
Hi Jacob, thanks for that answer. I will be submitting a ticket for admin to take a look. Some sites have been since the 15th.
When I got the notice of excessive usage I took a look at some advice that was sent to me. I implemented the wordpress wp-admin file directory password suggestion and I am really liking what it has done for the sites. I just hope I didn't lock out logaholic in the process.
No problem at all. If it's been 15 days I'd definitely go ahead and submit a ticket about it. It looks like for some of the sites that are not reporting Logaholic data, there is still AwStats data there, so it looks like your logs are being processed, possibly just not stored into Logaholic correctly.
Also take note that it appears the first domain showing red beginning with babystoy doesn't have any data. However that domain's data is also represented right below it on the babystoy.example.com sub-domain. So it could have something to do with the way a few of these domain's raw logs are setup in Apache in the first place. But that should be something that the system administrators can take a look at for you.
Please let us know what you do find out, so we can be sure to let any other users having these problems know what the solution might be.