OpenCart 1.5 allows you to add categories, but it also lets you disable them when you may not need them for a period of time. The following tutorial shows you how to hide a Category within the OpenCart 1.5 Administration Dashboard.
How to Disable or Enable a Category in OpenCart 1.5
- Login to the Administration Dashboard as an Administrator
- Place your mouse over the menu item that is labeled as CATALOG. When the drop down menu appears click on CATEGORIES
- If you have existing categories, you'll see a list appear. Select a category that you created in order to modify it, or select INSERT in order to proceed
- Select the DATA tab and then scroll down to where it says STATUS. It will look like this:
- Click on the drop-down menu where it says ENABLED (by default), and then select DISABLED, if you wish to hide the category, or ENABLED to show it.
- Select the SAVE button in the top right hand corner in order to save your selection.
In the following, you will see the effect of having the STATUS changed to DISABLED for the category of ULTRABOOKS:
Ultrabooks is a CATEGORY under the Parent Category of Laptops & Notebooks. Since the status for Ultrabooks was set to DISABLED, the category does not appear in the storefront menu.
Using the option to change the status of a category name is important in that it allows you to determine the active category item, or hide it. To find out more about adding a new category, go to Overview of Setting Up Categories in the Catalog for OpenCart 1.5.