Activating the Friendly URLs in PrestaShop can lead to problems if MOD REWRITE (URL rewriting) is not available or not permitted. One of the most common ways to see this immediately is to get a 404 error during the login. Here's an example of what you may see:
By default, this error will not normally happen on a Web Hosting Hub, because URL rewriting is enabled unless manually disabled within the .HTACCESS file. The following steps explain how to correct this error on a Web Hosting Hub account.
Correcting a 404 Error in PrestaShop when Mod_Rewrite is Disabled
- Login to the Cpanel.
- Click on File Manager and then navigate to the installation location of your PrestaShop installation.
- At the root of your PrestaShop installation look for the .htaccess file. Click on the file to highlight it and then click on EDIT or CODE EDIT at the top of the File Manager in order to edit the file.
- Normally, URL Rewriting is on by default on Web Hosting Hub servers. This means that adding code is not necessary in order to enable this feature. However, code can be included in the .htaccess file that can turn OFF the option. Observe the screenshot at right for an example of how this may appear.
- Edit the .htaccess file and turn mod_rewrite so that it is ON ('RewriteEngine on' is simply set instead of 'RewriteEngine off').
- Click on Save Changes in the top righ hand corner of the editor.
When URL Rewrite has re-enabled, then the error will not recur. For more information about enabling Friendly URLs, go to Enabling Search Engine Friendly URLs in Prestashop 1.5.