One of the most important tasks that you should perform as the administrator/owner of an ecommerce solution such as PrestaShop, is to backup the data that you have accumulated on a regular basis. The following tutorial will show you how to make a backup of your PrestaShop 1.5 database.
Making a Database Backup in PrestaShop 1.5
- To get to the Performance section of the Advanced Parameters for Prestashop, first login to the Administrator as an Administrator
- Hover over menu bar where it says ADVANCED PARAMETERS - click on DB BACKUP when it appears in the drop-down menu.
- You will see something similar to this screenshot:
You will also see a RESTORE option on the right side, but we will be focusing on the BACKUP aspect in this article.
- Read the disclaimer text, then click on the button at the bottom in order to create the backup of your database.
Note that this backup does NOT include backing up the files that makeup your PrestaShop installation.
- Once you have clicked on the button to create the backup, PrestaShop begins the process. When the backup is complete, the customer will see the following (or something similar):
The option above appears - DOWNLOAD THE BACKUP FILE. The size of the file appears to the right of it.
Click on DOWNLOAD THE BACKUP FILE in order to complete the process.
- At the bottom of the screen you will see something similar to the following:
The table above lists the backups that were completed including the date, the age, file name and file size of each file. The actions column allows you to restore or delete each of these files. Remember that if you delete the file, it is permanently gone.
The BACKUP OPTIONS really consists of one item - the other is for a restoration of a backup (see How to Restore a Backup in PrestaShop 1.5 for more info). This item is the first one labeled "IGNORE STATISTICS TABLES". Typically, your PrestaShop database includes data on statistics for your shop. The problem is that this data can grow very quickly depending on the volume of business that your store encounters. If you do not have the space to save this data, then enable this option when making a backup in order to make your backup file smaller. This way you only backup your store inventory information and that of your customers. Enable this option, but only if necessity requires it.
This section of of Advanced Parameters> DB Backup provides a convenient location for database backup, but it should be noted that it is only a backup for the database and not the full PrestaShop installation. The backup can be include only the store and customer data and have the statistics data removed when a backup is enacted. Use this as one of your backup options. If you other backup options that allow you to save the complete installation, then make sure to use that option as well. It will save you time and give you peace of mind.