Contao provides a wide variety of information, but the best way to track data on your website is to use a program dedicated for this purpose. One of the best solutions for this need is Google Analytics. Fortunately, there is an extension that is provided freely and available through the Contao Extensions Catalog. The following article explains how to find and install the Google Analytics extension for Contao.
Installing Google Analytics for Contao
- Login into the Contao Back end.
- On the left hand side of the screen, scroll down the Back end Modules list until you get to the EXTENSION CATALOG. Click on EXTENSION CATALOG.
- At the top of the screen, click on the SEARCH field and type in google analytics, then hit your ENTER key.
- You will see a list of several Google extensions. For further information on the extension, click on the blue circular icon with a white 'i' in it. To the right of that icon is the installation icon. Click on the install icon in order to proceed.
- Check the status in the next screen in order to see if the extension is going to be okay with the version of Contao that you are using. See the screen at right for an example. Click on CONTINUE in order to proceed with the installation.
- The installation will not take long, and it may appear to be the same screen, except at the bottom left of the install screen you will see a confirmation of the installation. click on CONTINUE in order to proceed.
- The next screen lists all of the database updates for the Google Analytics installation. Click on UPDATE in order to proceed.
- When the database update is complete, you will see a confirmation screen. Click on OK to proceed.
- This will complete the installation, but you will still need to configure Google Analytics before you can begin using it. Click on the pencil icon (as per the screenshot at right) to configure Google Analytics.
- Before you can begin to use the module, you will need to first configure it with the license key that you will need to obtain from Google. For further information on setting up your Google Analytics account, please go to How to Setup Google Analytics.
Once you have your account created and the installation issue resolved, you will be able to find a number of different options available to you. This will allow you properly judge your website's performance on the web and how to improve it.