If you will be selling products with attributes (e.g. size, color, style, etc.) these attributes and the groups they are organized in should be created before you begin adding the actual products to your PrestaShop store. Keep in mind that attributes differ from features in PrestaShop. For more information on the differences, please see our article Understanding Product Attributes and Features in PrestaShop.
Adding an Attribute Group in PrestaShop
- Begin by logging into your PrestaShop back office.
- Select the Catalog tab and click the Attributes and Groups link.
- If you chose to install the demo data when installing PrestaShop, you will see a few attribute Groups already listed. You can delete these later if you do not need them for your store. For now we will focus on creating a new group.
- Click on the link for Add attributes group.
- Enter in the following information for your new attribute group:
||This is the name that will be shown in the back office for this attribute group
||This is the name that will be shown publicly in your online
||If this attribute group will contain color selections, select the check mark.
- Click the Save button to save your changes and return to the Attributes and Groups listing page.
- Create any additional attribute groups you need for your PrestaShop store.
The next step is to create attributes for your new attribute group.
Adding an Attribute in PrestaShop
- On the Attributes and Group page, click the Add attribute link.
- Fill in the following information for your attribute:
||Name for your attribute (e.g. Red, Large, etc.).
||Choose the attribute group you want to add this attribute to from the drop down menu.
||If your attribute is a color, either input the hex code for the color or select it using the color picker next to the color input field
||If your attribute is a texture, you can upload an image file to display the texture. This will overwrite the Color field above
- Click the Save button to save your new attribute and return to the Attribute and Groups list page.
- Continue adding any additional attributes needed for each attribute group.
Once you have completed the attribute groups and attributes you need, you can either move on to creating product features or begin adding products in PrestaShop.