WordPress can be installed onto your hosting account by using Softaculous at no charge within your cPanel. As we continue our getting started in Wordpress series, in this tutorial we will walk you through the steps of installing WordPress using the Fantastico De Luxe script installer in your cPanel. To return to the previous course, please go to What Can I Build with Wordpress?
How to Install Wordpress:
- Begin by logging into your cPanel account.
- Once you have logged into your cPanel, click on Install WordPress under Preferences:
- This will bring you directly to the WordPress section in Softaculous. You will see a summary screen describing Wordpress and the current version. You will also see the space required for installation as well a link to support. At the bottom you will see a list of current installations if any installation has been previously completed.
Above the summary in the right hand corner of the window, you will see a list of options beginning with a blue button labeled INSTALL. You will also see OVERVIEW, FEATURES, and IMPORT.
Click on INSTALL in order to proceed with the installation.
- You will then see a page that lets you configure the settings for the Wordpress installation. There are five sections and each are detailed in the tables below:
||You can setup SSL settings here if your site is using SSL
||Domain name that you will be using for the Wordpress site
||Folder where the files will exist
||Name of the database that will be created for the Wordpress install
||allows you to put an alpha-numeric combination to identify the tables created in the database for your Wordpress installation
||Name of the blog or website you are creating with the Wordpress installation
||Description of the website that you are creating with Wordpress
|Enable Multisite (WPMU)
|| Checkbox to enable the multi-site feature for Wordpress
||Administrator name used to access Wordpress back end
||Password used to access Wordpress back end
||Email address for the Wordpress Admin
||Language used for the installation
||Click on this button to start installation once ALL of the sections have been completed.
|Email Installation details to:
||Use this address to have your Wordpress setup details copied and then sent through email.
Fill in each section with the information required for your installation and then click on the INSTALL button at the bottom of the screen to proceed. Remember that if you wish to keep a copy of all of the configuration information you have specified in this section, then fill in a valid email address in the "Email installation details to:" section at the bottom. Note that the Administrator User name and password given in the installation are default values and should be replaced with your own values so that the installation is secure.
- The installation will finish after completing all of the installation steps for Wordpress. You will a message stating:
Congratulations, the software was installed successfully.
Or, you may see an error or list of errors if the software installation was unable to be completed. You can then return to the overview, or close the Cpanel. Your installation is complete!
Now you can go to your admin page and begin working on your website. If this is your first time using WordPress, continue reading to find out how to log into your WordPress Dashboard and administer your site. Advance to the next course by clicking on Explaining the Wordpress Site Structure. If you're interested in seeing the course list for the class, go to 101: Wordpress- Getting Started Guide.