When Outlook sends out emails that contains content in rich text, it will sometimes store the formatting in a winmail.dat attachment. Outlook can also send normal attachments out as winmail.dat. This can be problematic as other email clients do not know how to open the winmail.dat files. Follow the instructions below as we guide you on how to prevent this.
Preventing Outlook from formatting mail as winmail.dat
- First, open up your Outlook email client.
- Next click on the File option in the upper toolbar.
- From there, select the Options setting.
- Now select the Mail category.
- Next, look under Compose messages and make sure the HTML or Plain Text option is selected for the Compose messages in this format.
- Finally, underMessage format, set When sending messages in Rich text format to Internet recipients to Convert to HTML format or Plain Test format
- Click OK to save the settings.