One of the things we most often take for granted is the ability to accept credit cards for payment. In order to do this on your shop website, you need to setup what is known as a payment gateway or payment processor. VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover are common credit card types that many people want to use, but they do not provide a separate processor that you can use for your shop. PrestaShop makes this easy by providing modules that you can use to process almost any type of credit card. The following article explains how to setup the credit card payment modules in PrestaShop 1.5.
Enabling Credit Card Payment in PrestaShop 1.5
- Login to the Administrator
- Hover the menu bar where it says MODULES, then click MODULES when it appears again in the drop-down menu. The screen will appears below. Click on PAYMENTS & GATEWAYS:
A Payment gateway will allow you to accept credit card payments. You will need to decide which works best for you and start an account with the company of your choice. Note that they do not process these transactions for free! Carefully read through your account information and assess the payment requirements. PrestaShop provides some default options as per what you see in the screenshot above.
- Click on the INSTALL button next to the button of the payment gateway that you wish to use.
- Once the module has completed installing, then click on CONFIGURE (see Paypal example above for where the configure option will be located). Once you're finished configuring, make sure to save your entries.
- If you do not see the module you wish to use, you can go to the PrestaShop Add-ons page and look for one that may suit your needs: Prestashop Addons. See How to Load new Modules in PrestaShop 1.5 for further information on setting up new modules in PrestaShop 1.5.
Payment Gateways can range from accepting checks, cash-on-delivery, to credit card processors such as Authorize.net or PayPal. Each will have its uses for you and your customers. You will need to carefully review the pros and cons of each choice and decide which works best for you. When the gateway is available as a payment option, the appearance of the option will often vary. Here's an example of how it could look:
NOTE: When using a credit card processor, it is important that you have an SSL certificate set up for your site in order to provide security for all transactions. The payment gateway may NOT accept non-secured URLs for processing your transactions. See your host for more details on obtaining an SSL Certificate.