In this tutorial we will guide you in creating a new product category in Virtuemart. Categories help you organize the products you are selling from your Virtuemart Eshop. New categories can be created quite easily from the Administration section of your Joomla powered Virtuemart E-commerce store.
In this example I am creating an online clothing store, so I will create a new category for T-shirts.
How to Create a New Category:
- Login to the Joomla Admin panel.
- Roll your mouse over Components in the menu, and select Virtuemart.
- Select the Products option from the menu, then click Product Categories.
- Over to the right select the New button.
- Under the General Informations menu, you will be presented with several fields.
||Enter the name of the new category you want to create.
||Select Yes to display this category in your virtuemart store, and No if you only want it visible in the Administration panel.
Enter a search engine friendly name for this category. What you enter here will be seen in the URL of the page, for example if you enter 'test' the address for this category will be:
||In this field enter an explanation for this category you are creating.
After making your selections, click the Save & Close button. You will now see your new Category listed.
Congratulations, now you know how to create a new Category in your Virtuemart E-commerce store! In the next tutorial we will show you how to create a new product and assign it to this category.