So far we've learned how to install PHPlist on our account, adjust our PHPlist settings, and edit our PHPlist configuration file to rate limit the messages sent. Now we'll walk through creating our first mailing list.
- Begin by logging into your PHPlist admin area. Using our example, we installed PHPlist into the newsletter directory so we'll go to whhsupport.com/newsletter/admin.
- In the Name and Password fields enter in the username and password you created when you installed PHPlist through Fantastico.
- Under List and user functions, click the list link.
- This next screen will show you all of your mailing lists in PHPlist. You can ignore the "test" list which is installed by default. One of the great features with PHPlist is that you can create multiple mailing lists. For instance, maybe you have some users who want to receive a regular newsletter but other users only want to know about new products or services. So, you could have one list for your newsletter recipients and another for users who want new products/services notification.
- Click the add a list link to create your new mailing list.
- Next, we will fill in the details for our list.:
||Something meaningful to you (Newsletter, New Products, etc.)
|Check this box to make this list active:
||Make sure this is checked
|Order for listing:
||You can leave this at the default of 0. As you add more lists, you may find it helpful to set the order for your lists which can be changed any time.
||This should default to your admin name
||Provide a short description for your list which will appear under the list name in the list of lists screen.
- Click the Save button to create and save your new list.
In our next article, we will cover how to add a subscription form to our site so users can register for our list.