The SEO (Search Engine Optimization) Keyword is used as a key identifier for a product name or category name. This allows you to make searches that will immediately narrow to that category or product. The following tutorial will guide you in setting the SEO keyword for a specific category name in the OpenCart 1.5 Administration Dashboard.
How to add or edit the SEO keyword of a category name in OpenCart 1.5
- Login to the Administration Dashboard as an Administrator
- Hover over the menu item labeled CATALOG, then click on CATEGORIES
- When you click on Categories if you have existing products in your inventory you will get a list of products as appears in the screenshot below:
- Click on a category name or select INSERT to create a new category. When the next window opens, it will show you the following:
- Select the middle tab that is labeled DATA, then scroll down to where it says SEO Keyword
- Note the instructions listed under the label that says SEO keyword -"Do not use spaces instead replace spaces with - and make sure the keyword is globally unique." Here's an example of what they're looking for:
Click on the box and add the SEO Keyword that best fits your product category name. Make sure it's unique!
- Click on the blue SAVE button in the top right hand corner in order to save your entry.
The SEO keyword is important for search engine searches for your product category or name. OpenCart 1.5 provides you an interface you to add the keyword to your category names. Make sure that there are no spaces in the keyword and that it uniquely fits your category name. For more information on adding a new category, please go to Overview of Setting Up Categories in the Catalog for OpenCart 1.5.