Using SEO friendly URLs in Prestashop 1.5 depends on a few requirements. By default, the application will look to see of mod_rewrite is active or not before it attempts to use the friendlier URLs. This is because the mod_rewrite option is required in order to be able to change the URLs to appear as something much more friendly. By default Web Hosting Hub's servers have this option activated, but it may be required to turn it on in the PHP.INI file or the local .HTACCESS file. The following tutorial will discuss the main requirement to make SEO friendly URLS active, where Prestashop 1.5 indicates the status of this requirement, and how to make the change so that you are able to use SEO friendly URLs.
How to make the SEO-friendly URLs active in PrestaShop 1.5
- Login to the Administration Panel as an Administrator
- Hover over the menu bar where it says PREFERENCES, and then click on SEO & URLS in the drop down menu. You will see existing list of URLs. If you are creating SEFs for the first time, please go to How to create search engine friendly URLs in Prestashop. The following screenshot indicates the status of the setting:
- The RED text indicates if MOD_REWRITE option is enabled or disabled. Notice that there is no way to disable or enable MOD_REWRITE on the screen. You must do this in the PHP.INI file or .HTACCESS file within the website files or server. This can be done by Technical Support, or by accessing the files using the server interface. By default Web Hosting Hub servers have MOD_REWRITE enabled. NOTE: The server itself has a configuration file that includes the mod_rewrite. This option can ONLY be changed by Technical Support or someone with Root Access to the server. When the MOD_REWRITE is on, you will see:
Note that the RED TEXT indicating that MOD_REWRITE option that needs to be on no longer is being displayed. Instead, you will see the option to select YES or NO to enable Friendly URLs.
- Select YES to enable Friendly URLs, or select NO to disable them
- Selet the green SAVE button in order to preserve your choices from above.
Once the option is enabled in the PHP.INI, then you will be able modify or add SEO friendly URLs (also called Search Engine Friendly URLs -SEFs) in Prestashop 1.5.