Meta titles, descriptions and keywords are used to help search engines index and identify the categories in your PrestaShop installation. Both the products and the categories used to organize the products have meta data for this purpose. The following tutorial will guide you through the setup of the meta titles, meta descriptions and meta keywords for PrestaShop 1.5.
Using Meta Titles, Meta Descriptions and Meta Keywords in PrestaShop 1.5
- Login as the administrator in the Administration Dashboard
- Hover over Catalog and then click on CATEGORIES when the drop-down menu appears. You will see the following screen:
If you already have some categories, listed, you can hit EDIT in order to modify, or select ADD NEW in order to add a new category.
- Scroll down to where you see META TITLE, META DESCRIPTION, and META KEYWORDS and you will see the following:
- Go to the field for the META TITLE. Notice that if you have multiple languages loaded, then you will need to provide meta data for each language present.
- Keep your meta title short, then proceed to the META DESCRIPTION field. The description is generally kept within 160 words and will be the the words displayed in the browser when searched.
- After you're finished with the description, selec the field for META KEYWORDS. You should be using just the the major words in your article separated with a space.
- Click on SAVE in order to save your entries.
Meta data is especially important for search engines. It helps them organize and index your data so that searches are much quicker and efficient. The following screenshot shows the meta data at work in a search engine (the description below the search item actually comes from the meta description: