After installing the WP e-Commerce plugin
for Wordpress the next step is setting it up to sell a product that can be downloaded.
If you will be selling digital products (products that customers can download) there are only a few differences between adding physical and digital products.
- If you will only be selling digital products, one setting you will want to change is in the Shipping Tab under Settings > Store in your WordPress dashboard.
- Before creating your digital product, you will want to head back over to the Admin tab in your store settings (Settings > Store). You can adjust the default settings as needed:
|Max downloads per file
||In this example, we'll give our customers 2 chances to download the file (in case something goes wrong with the first download).
|Lock downloads to IP address
||Enabling this would make it so that the IP address accessing the download link must also match the IP address that made the purchase. Use this cautiously. Since you can limit the number of downloads allowed, this is most likely not necessary. This should be all of the settings you need to adjust for digital products.
- Next, to create your new digital product select Add New under the Products menu.
In the Add New Product page, type in the name for your product and a description.
||Once you have saved the product as a draft, you can then choose the variations for the product. This probably more applicable to physical products but you might be offering a digital file in different file types or or sizes (e.g. images).
||Use the Browser button in this area to select the file you will be selling for download.
||By clicking the Manage Product Images link you can upload images from your local computer or choose images from your Media Library to use for the product image. When using an image already in the Media Library, click the Show link for that image and then select the Use as Product Thumbnail link. Click the Save all changes button to save your product image.
||If you will be selling both digital and physical products and have not disabled the Shipping module for the entire store, you can select Disregard Shipping for this Product. Otherwise, if you have disabled the Shipping module under Store settings, you will not see the Shipping area for the product.
||Your product categories are listed on the right side of the page. Choose the category or categories to assign this product to.
||Also found on the right side of the page. Enter in the price (and/or any sales price) for your product.
||If you need to assign a specific tax band to your product, you can do so in this area. Please note, if you need to create Tax Bands, navigate to the Taxes tab in Settings > Store.
While there are other options to choose from when adding new products, they are not required. For further information regarding product options, please see the plugin developer's documentation:
If you do not have any variations to add to your product, you can click the Publish button to save your product and publish it to your site. If you would like to add variations, you can click the Save Draft button to only save the product.
- Now you can choose to add any variations you have for your product. A list of your variation sets is now displayed below the product description. Choose one or more variations and click the Update Variations button to add these to your product.
- Once you have added variations click Publish (or Update if you published previously) to save and publish your product to your site.
- Navigate to your site's product page to view the product:
If you have additional products, you can continue adding those as needed.
Congratulations, now you know how to sell a digital product in Wordpress with WP e-Commerce!
If you are viewing this page from the guide on How to sell downloadable products
, here is a link
back to the original tutorial.