Passwords are a constant concern for any user that must login to a system, so it's no wonder that a "lost" password is one of the most common support issues reported. PrestaShop provides a way to reset the password for both store employees and customers. Resetting an administrator password or employee password is covered in separate articles: Recovering the Employee Passwords through the PrestaShop 1.5 Administrator Dashboard, or Resetting the Administrator Password through the Database in PrestaShop 1.5. The following article explains how to recover customer passwords in the PrestaShop 1.5 administrator dashboard and the customer interface.
Recovering Passwords in PrestaShop 1.5
- Login to the Administrator Dashboard
- To review the backoffice option for resetting a customer password, hover over the menu bar where it is labeled CUSTOMERS. Click on CUSTOMERS when the drop-down menu appears and you will see something similar to the following:
Select a customer and then click on the EDIT icon in order to edit the user information.
- When the EDIT window appears you will see a screen similar to the following:
Click on the PASSWORD field and type in the new password in order to change it.
- When the password is set, click on the SAVE button in the top right hand corner in order to save your changes.
Customers can also change their password in the customer interface available through the storefront.
- Login to the storefront, if you do not have your password, then click on the LOST PASSWORD link at the bottom of the login screen.
As long the customer remembers their email address that was used when they established their account, then recovering the password shouldn't be an issue. They would receive an email recovering their password. However, if they do not remember it, or cannot access their email account, then they will need to contact an administrator from the store and ask for the password to be reset.
- If a customer wants to reset their password, they can do this when logged into their account. Logging into a customer account will show the following:
Click on MY PERSONAL INFORMATION in order to get to the area where you can change the password.
- You will need to click in the NEW PASSWORD to type in a new password and then click in the CONFIRMATION field to confirm the change by typing the new password in again.
It is important to remember that as part of PrestaShop security, password resets are limited by a time period set in the preferences for customers. This limits password changes from occurring repeatedly within a period of time.
- Once the change is complete, click on SAVE in order to save the entries.
The systems in PrestaShop 1.5 for helping recover or reset passwords are both manual (controlled by administrator access), as well as automated (emailed through the storefront). It is important to keep passwords and other login information secure at all times. Security is only as good as the users who must maintain it.