As sales of digital products are quickly becoming a major industry, there are many ways to make a website that lets people download products after purchasing them. In this guide we will show you how to sell digital downloadable products using Ubercart, which is a module for Drupal.
You must have Drupal installed, with the Ubercart module to complete this guide.
Selling Downloadable products using Ubercart for Drupal:
- After installing the Ubercart module in Drupal, make sure File Downloads are enabled:
Login to the Drupal Dashboard, then click Modules in the navigation menu. Under the UBERCART-CORE section, make sure the File downloads option is checked, if it is, skip to the next step. If it is not click it, then click the Save configuration button on the bottom.
- Now set the permissions, so people can download from your Ubercart store:
In the navigation menu, click People, then click the Permissions tab.
- Scroll down to the File downloads section, and click the check box to allow Authenticated Users to download files.
Then scroll down to the bottom and click the Save permissions button.
- In the navigation menu, click the Store option. Then under the Configuration section, click the Products link.
- Click the File download settings tab, you will then have several options. Below is the brief description of the available options provided by Ubercart:
Choose your options, then click the Save configuration button.
||The absolute path (or relative to Drupal root) where files used for file downloads are located. For security reasons, it is recommended to choose a path outside the web root.
|Warn about purchasing duplicate files.
||If a customer attempts to purchase a product containing a file download, warn them and notify them that the download limits will be added onto their current limits.
||The number of times a file can be downloaded. Leave empty to set no limit.
||The number of unique IPs that a file can be downloaded from. Leave empty to set no limit.
||How long after a product has been purchased until its file download expires.
- In the navigation menu, click the Store button
- Then under Products, click View file downloads.
- Under Action make sure Upload file is selected, and click the Perform action button.
- On the Upload file menu, click the Browse button, and choose the file you want to upload. Click the Upload file button. After the file is uploaded, you will see it listed. In my tests I am uploading an MP3 file.
- Now, create the product you want to add the file download to, by clicking the Add content button in the navigation menu. Then, click Product.
- Enter the name and SKU, these are the only required fields. Fill in the other options as needed, then click the save button.
- You will then see the product page you just created, click the Edit tab.
- Click the Features button, make sure the File download option is selected, and click the Add button.
- In the File download field enter the full name of the file, including the extension. For example: mysong.mp3, then uncheck the Shippable product option and click the Save feature button. You will see a message stating "The product feature has been added."
Now when someone purchases the downloadable product they will be able to download it from their account:
Congratulations, now you know how to sell a downloadable product using the Ubercart module for Drupal.