The web services for Prestashop 1.5 allow you to connect to other applications and share data. However, in order to do this, there is a requirement and a recommendation made by PrestaShop that needs to be understood. The following article explains this warning, where it appears and its impact on your PrestaShop 1.5 installation.
Meeting the Requirements for Installing the Web Service in PrestaShop 1.5
- To get to the Performance section of the Advanced Parameters for Prestashop, first login to the Administrator as an Administrator
- Hover over menu bar where it says ADVANCED PARAMETERS - click on WEB SERVICE when it appears in the drop-down menu.
- When you first open the Web Services screen you will see the following warning in yellow:
When you click on "Click here to see more" you will see the following:
Basically, Prestashop is telling you that you need to setup an .htaccess file and recommending the use of SSL for web service calls in order to help with security on the connection.
- Go to Preferences - SEO and URLs and scroll down to this portion of the screen:
Select the options and make sure that they are set per your needs. Then create the .htaccess file. For further information go to How to edit your .htaccess file.
- The second part of the warning deals with using an SSL certificate. This is recommended due to security issues. Basically, they want to avoid what's called "man in the middle" where someone can intercept your data. If you're using SSL, then this will secure against that possibility. Set up a SSL certificate, then designate the path for the web service using HTTPS.
Setting up web services also means taking care to setup some prerequisite options such as the .htaccess file and SSL certificate. These options are needed due to security concerns. Please take your time to understand and correctly set up this portion of PrestaShop so as to keep your site safe and secure.