It is important to be able to set limits on the dimensions that your carriers will support. Prestashop allows you to set the max dimensions of height, width, depth and weight for the packages that are being delivered. The following Prestashop 1.5 tutorial will instruct you on how to set the maximum sizes and weight that can be shipped by your carrier.
How to set the maximum height, width, depth and weight accepted by a carrier in Prestashop 1.5
- Go to the login for Prestashop 1.5 Administration Panel and login as an Administrator
- In the menu bar hover over SHIPPING, then select CARRIERS from the drop-down menu when it appears.
- Create a new carrier option by clicking on the ADD NEW button. Or, select the shipper that you need to modify, and click on EDIT to make changes
- Go to the CARRIERS section and scroll to MAXIMUM PACKAGE HEIGHT as per the screenshot below:
- As per the note below each blank, setting it to zero will mean that the field is ignored. Click in the field to set the max package height, or go to the next dimension (width, depth and weight) and set the maximums that are needed
- Click on the SAVE button in the top right hand corner
What does the customer see?
Setting the dimensions for the out-of-range behaviors is important because it allows you to limit the package size supported by your carriers. Make sure to set these values in order to prevent confusion between your customers and shipper. As with all of the out-of-range shipping behaviors, the actual action taken is never seen by the customer except in the amount being paid for shipping. So, when checking out, the customer will see only a typical cart checkout like this:
The only affect that will be seen is the total shipping cost, but the fact that it is an out-of-range shipment is not noted on the customer invoice. Note that if there are multiple carriers, the may have different out-of-range behaviors depending on how they were set. If they were set to be disabled, the customer will not seen them as a choice for shipping.