Thank you but Wix advises not to POINT it but to connect it. They define the difference here - http://www.wix.com/support/html5/domains/transferring-domains-to-wix/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-7435701
Basically, I would like to keep my domain separate from Wix and with you.
Wix says CONNECTING the domain to Wix means:
- Your domain remains hosted by the domain host, and therefore domain renewals, contact information updates and billing inquiries must be done through your current domain host and not through Wix. (This is what I would like)
- If your domain is connected via name servers, you will be able to manage your DNS records from your Wix account. (This is what I would like)
- If your domain is connected via pointing, your DNS records are managed via your domain host. (This is what I dont want).
Can you connect my domain with the Wix instructions provided in my first message? If not, and I update the name servers in your domain delgations details - does that connect my domain to Wix? Or does that point my domain to Wix?
Wix strongly advises against pointing:
Please Note: Wix Does NOT Recommend Pointing We recommend connecting your domain to Wix by using the Wix name servers.
- Downtime when Wix IP changes: The primary reason that we recommend connecting your domain to Wix by using the Wix name servers is that the Wix IP address might change in order to prevent your site from going down. This happens from time to time when natural disasters, server problems and other problems occur. In such events, domains connected to Wix by name servers will automatically have their DNS records updated. However, domains that are connected to Wix by IP pointing will not work until you request the new IP# from us and then manually make the changes with your domain host. This will result in a much longer downtime.
- Less support & assistance: When you connect your domain to Wix by name servers, we can offer support and assist you in creating any DNS records you might need. Whereas if you connect to Wix by pointing you would need to contact your domain host with any domain/DNS related issues.
- Feature updates must be made manually: We can automatically modify your DNS to accommodate any new feature that requires DNS changes. When choosing pointing you would need to manually make these changes with your domain host.
Thank you very much for your help,