Notepad++ is an editing program that can be used to connect to your hosting account via FTP, and make modifications. In this tutorial we will show you how to get it connected to your server, so that you can edit your website files.
You must have Notepad++ to complete this tutorial, which is only compatible with Windows Operating Systems.
Connnect to Your Server via FTP:
- Open Notepad++.
- In the top menu, click Plugins -> NppFTP -> Show NppFTP Window.
- The NppFTP window will now be displayed. Click the Settings button, then click the Profile Settings option.
- In the Profile Settings window, click Add new.
- In the Adding profile menu, enter a name for this FTP connection and click the OK button.
- Now enter your FTP information, you will need to enter your specific credentials. Below is an example of the settings, for more information see our Getting Started guide on FTP.
||This should be set to FTP
||This should always be 21.
||Enter your password here.
|Ask for password
||Do not check this option.
||This is how long it will try to connect before giving up. Default is 30 (for 30 seconds).
|Initial remote directory
After entering your settings, click the Close button.
- Your settings are now saved, click the Connect button, and click your new connection to open it.
You will then see your files / folders listed, you can click them to navigate. If you double click a file it will open and allow you to view / edit the text or code.
Congratulations, now you know how to connect to your website files using Notepad++!