FileZilla is typically used for uploading / downloading files between the server and your local computer, but can also be used for editing files. In this tutorial we will show you how to modify a file using the FileZilla FTP client.
FileZilla is a free open-sourced FTP client that can be downloaded here:
Filezilla client download
Edit in FileZilla:
- Connect to your account using FileZilla.
- On the top Remote Site window, click the folder that contains the file you want to edit. Its contents will be listed in the window below.
- On the bottom window of the remote sites, right-click the file you want to modify, and click View/Edit. The File will open in notepad on Windows, or TextEditor on a Mac.
- After editing the file, save then close it. You will see a File has changed message, and it will ask "Upload this file back to the server?" Click the Yes button to upload the file you edited.
Download a File and Modify, then Re-upload:
- Click the file you want to edit, then drag and drop it onto your desktop.
For Windows: you can right-click the file on your desktop, then click Open with --> Choose default program... --> (Double click) Other Programs --> Notepad
For Mac: Ctrl + click the file --> Open With --> TextEditor
- Save your file after editing, then drag and drop back into the bottom remote directory window. You will see a message stating the "Target file already exists," overwrite the existing file to replace it with your updated version.
Congratulations, now you know how to edit a file using your FileZilla FTP client!