When you remove themes or plugins from Wordpress, they can leave files behind that create a security risk. The Old Core Files plugin scans for files that have been left behind, so that you know they are there and can remove them.
In this tutorial we will show you how to install and activate the Old Core Files plugin in Wordpress. Then we will show you how to access the plugin's tools.
I recommend performing a backup of your website, before installing a Wordpress plugin.
Install Old Core Files:
- Login to the Wordpress Dashboard.
- Click the Plugins link in the navigation menu, then click the Add New link.
- In the search box, enter "old core files" then click the Search Plugins button.
- You will see Old Core Files listed, click the Install Now link.
A message will pop-up asking "Are you sure you want to install this plugin?" click the OK button.
- The "Installing Plugin" message will come up, click the Activate Plugin link. Old Core Files has now been successfully installed.
Accessing the Old Core Files tools:
- You can access the tools for this plugin by clicking the Tools link in the Dashboard, then clicking the Old Core Files link.
You will see a message under the Old Core Files heading. In my tests, I didn't have any old files:
Congratulations, now you know how to protect your Wordpress website using the Old Core Files plugin!